‘Us’ Composer Michael Abels on Working with Jordan Peele & What Makes Music Scary

Collider | 6/19/2019 | Haleigh Foutch
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/jordan-peele-us-movie-image-6.jpg

It’s not often that you find yourself in the movie theater and realize you’re listening to an iconic horror score in the making, but that’s exactly what happened when Jordan Peele cued up the track “Pas De Deux” in the climax to his newest horror hit, Us. The dopplegänger horror boasts a score full of tracks bound to end up on all the best Halloween playlists; the kind of catchy yet unnerving themes that you can’t quite stop humming after the movie, even if they send a chill up your spine. Get Out composer Michael Abels reunited with Peele for his sophomore feature, and the duo once again tapped into a horrifying and soundscape distinctly all their own.

With Us available on Blu-ray this week, I recently hopped on the phone for a chat with Abels to discuss working with Peele and how he conceived the score. He talked about what makes music scary, how Peele worked with him early on to bring the dissonance of dopplegänger horror to the music, building tension without giving away the scares, and how he introduced himself to horror with a terrifying trip to the cinema.

Congratulations - Horror - Score - Pas - De

Well, I just want to start by saying a very genuine congratulations. I think this a very special horror score, and I think Pas De Deux is one of those iconic horror tracks in the making.

ABELS: Wow. Well, thank you so much. I really appreciate that a lot.

Things - Movie - Something - Music - Cues

I really mean it. It’s like one of those things when you watch a movie, and you just feel something special from the music, and I feel like that’s so ephemeral and hard to pin down. When it comes to filmmaking, there are like blunt visual cues that can tell you something’s scary, right? Like blood or masks or a weapon, and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!