A Virginia National Guard sergeant is accused of stealing WWII dog tags from the National Archives

Business Insider | 6/18/2019 | Associated Press
Firefang (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/5d0a93d2c10f9b3a2608abc7-2732-1366.jpg

A Virginia man has been accused of taking dog tags from the National Archives and giving them to family members and others.

A French historian was sentenced in April 2018 to one year in prison after pleading guilty to stealing at least 291 dog tags and other items.

Visit - Business - Insider - Homepage - Stories

Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

COLLEGE PARK, Md. (AP) — A Virginia National Guard sergeant is accused of stealing World War II-era dog tags from the National Archives and Records Administration in Maryland, at least the second theft case involving the research facility.

Robert - Rumsby - Fredericksburg - Virginia - Investigators

Robert Rumsby, 29, of Fredericksburg, Virginia, told investigators he took dog tags that belonged to four U.S. airmen killed in plane crashes in 1944, according to a criminal complaint filed in federal court last month.

Rumsby's wife is the great niece of one of the deceased airmen. Rumsby said he gave that airman's dog tags to his wife's grandmother as a Christmas gift and gave another airman's dog tags to a relative of that serviceman.

Complaint - Charges - Rumsby - Theft - Records

The complaint charges Rumsby with theft of public records. He has an Aug. 14 trial date at the federal courthouse in Greenbelt, Maryland.

Rumsby told the Stars and Stripes newspaper he took the dog tags from the facility in College Park, Maryland, so he could give them to dead soldiers' families.

Intent - Approach - Time - Approach - Identification

"I think the intent was there. I think the approach was wrong. Even at the time, I knew the approach was wrong," he said. "I had taken four identification tags from those record groups specifically for families I knew would treasure them."

Rumsby declined to be interviewed this week, telling an Associated Press reporter to "go fry someone else if that is your intention."

Feel - Story - US - Government - Information

"Feel free to publish a story on how the U.S. Government withheld information from families concerning personal effects being held without their knowledge for 70 plus years,"...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Business Insider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Satan's greatest desire is to convince the world he doesn't exist, and he has quite nearly succeeded.