News photographer recounts harrowing moment Dallas shooter came within feet

Mail Online | 12/31/1969 | Keith Griffith For Dailymail.com
Omnista (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/06/18/18/14946764-0-image-a-33_1560878647779.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/06/17/9005651079826065454/1024x576_MP4_9005651079826065454.mp4

A newspaper photographer who was just yards away from the gunman who opened fire on a federal courthouse in Dallas has spoken out about the harrowing ordeal.

Tom Fox, a staff photographer with the Dallas Morning News, was outside the Earle Cabell Federal Building on Monday waiting to snap a defendant in a charter-school fraud case when shots rang out at 8.40am.

Moment - Backfire - Shots - Courthouse - Fox

'What I thought at the moment was backfire turned into numerous shots being fired at the federal courthouse,' Fox recounted in an interview with his own paper.

Fox dropped to a knee as he tried to figure out where the shots were coming from, and then snapped a photo as he saw a lawyer and a security guard he'd been chatting with earlier sprinting toward him.

Lens - Someone - Shooter - God - Frames

'So I pulled up my long lens and saw someone who I realized was the shooter. And I think, 'Oh my God.' I squeezed off a few frames as he picked something up — a clip, I think — and then I turned and ran,' Fox recalled.

Fox took cover behind a column on the other side of the main entrance of the federal building as the shooter stormed toward him.

'He - Door - Fire - Door - Glass

'He approached the door and opened fire on the door, and I can vividly hear that glass breaking,' says Fox. 'The only thing I could think in that moment was, 'please don't pass me.' Because I could see straight out across the street, and he was just literally around the corner, eight or 10 feet from me.'

'I just knew if I made myself small enough he wouldn't see me,' he recalled.

'I - Fox - Gun

'I just stood there and prayed that he wouldn't walk past me,' Fox said. 'Because if he walks past me and sees me, he's going to shoot me. He's already got the gun out.

'If he...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!