New Yolo anonymous Q&A app attracts millions of teenage users, has parents wary

phys.org | 5/1/2017 | Staff
Emzah92 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://3c1703fe8d.site.internapcdn.net/newman/gfx/news/hires/2019/qa.jpg

As schools head into summer break, a new app allowing users to ask one another questions anonymously is captivating millions of teenagers.

Yolo is an anonymous question-and-answer app that connects to Snapchat as a way for friends to send comments and questions to each other. The person using Yolo can reply to the comment or answer the question on the Snapchat story along with a picture.

Messages - Sent - Someone - Way - Senders

The messages are shown as sent by "Someone," and currently there isn't a way to identify who senders are unless they choose to reveal themselves privately to the recipient.

Concerns over bullying on this platform have been raised due to the anonymous feature.

Gina - Denham - Daughter - Month - Yolo

Gina Denham has a daughter who turns 12 next month and will not allow her to download Yolo due to the "negativity" she has seen on her 18-year-old niece's Snapchat revolving around Yolo.

"They showed me several (messages) that had the anonymous comments and I did not see one single positive remark. They were all horrible—there was extreme name calling. Several were referencing other kids who aren't even on Snapchat," said Denham. "I don't understand why they want to put themselves out there, setting themselves up for negativity like that."

Problems - Gain - Popularity - Comments - Apps

Problems can arise whenever anonymous messaging apps gain popularity due to mean-spirited or inappropriate comments, as seen on anonymous apps such as YikYak or Sarahah, which were popular a few years ago. Sarahah eventually was kicked off the iOS and Google Play app stores due to intense bullying by users.

Gregoire Henroin, co-founder of Yolo, did not anticipate the app becoming an overnight success. It has spent five weeks straight on the Top 10 apps list on the iOS App Store, and was in the No. 1 spot for two weeks during that time period. The app has been downloaded over 5 million times since being released on...
(Excerpt) Read more at: phys.org
Wake Up To Breaking News!