Gay NRA Media Manager: My Community Missing the Value of Gun Rights

Breitbart | 6/12/2016 | Staff
idkwatitis (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.breitbart.com/media/2019/06/gay-parade-washington-640x335.jpg

NRA social media manager William McLaughlin is a pro-gun, gay American expressing bewilderment over his observation the gay community does not see the value of gun rights.

McLaughlin attended a PRIDE parade in Washington DC, then used a Washington Post opinion piece to explain what he encountered.

District - City - Gay - People - Guns

He began by noting: “The District, where I live, is a liberal city. Gay people are embraced; guns are not. You don’t have to see how the District votes to know that. You can tell by the signs in people’s yards and the bumper stickers on their cars. The gay community is largely anti-gun, too.”

McLaughlin then focused on his PRIDE parade experience:

Parade - Worlds - Event - Home - Head

At the parade, these worlds collided. I found myself at an event where I should have felt at home but, instead, I felt hated. It wasn’t all in my head. People chanted an obscenity about the NRA as they marched down P Street NW.

I don’t understand why the LGBTQ community is so hostile toward the Second Amendment. I’d like to ask my fellow gays to take a moment and consider this issue through a different lens. I long for the day when the gay community will galvanize its significant political might and work toward making practical changes that would let gays better protect themselves when laws don’t.

Hate - Crime - Crimes - Members - Gay

He quoted hate crime statistics–particularly crimes toward members of the gay community–and asked:

If we in the gay community know we are frequent targets, why do we overwhelmingly oppose laws that protect our right to defend ourselves? Why do I find myself, at party after party, defending my decision to work for the NRA? Why does my wanting to own a firearm make some gay people I meet...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Breitbart
Wake Up To Breaking News!