Inside the 2019 MTV Movie & TV Awards With Dwayne Johnson, Jada Pinkett Smith and Tiffany Haddish

Variety | 6/17/2019 | Anna Tingley
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/zachary-levi.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

As Hollywood gathered at the Barker Hangar in Santa Monica, Calif., on Saturday night for the MTV Movie & TV Awards to celebrate the night’s honorees — including Trailblazer Award winner Jada Pinkett Smith and Generation Award honoree Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson — calls for empowerment and inclusion within the entertainment industry and beyond took center stage.

“When I first got to Hollywood, [they] didn’t know what the **** to do with me: half black, half Samoan,” Johnson said. “I was told at that time, ‘You gotta be a certain way. You gotta drop some weight, you gotta be something different, you gotta stop working out, stop doing the things you love, stop calling yourself ‘The Rock!’”

Choice - Hollywood - Hollywood - Samoan - Cultures

“So I made a choice. I wasn’t gonna conform to Hollywood; Hollywood was gonna conform to me,” he continued. “This is what I am. I’m proudly half black [and] half Samoan and wanted to bring those cultures out here for the world to see. There’s another side to being your most authentic, most true self, and that’s the side where the magic is on. That’s gold. You gotta recognize the joy and the responsibility of bringing everybody with you. And when you do that, by being kind, being compassionate, inclusive, and straight up just being good to people, that’s what matters, that’s where the real power is.”

The star of the upcoming “Hobbs and Shaw” wrapped up his speech with one succinct quote: “It’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice.”

Message - Theme - Awards - Boys - Stars

Putting meaning to your message was a running theme throughout the awards. When “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” stars Lana Condor and Noah Centineo accepted the award for best kiss, Condor made sure to preach the importance of accepting all genders and sexual orientations: “Kiss who you want to kiss,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!