The Real Challenge of Millennial Giving

Christianity.com | 6/13/2019 | Staff
AavyAavy (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://media.swncdn.com/christianity/resource/areas/newchristianity/resources/images/defaultimages/article-large-landscape.png

“Millennials want to give to a cause.”

Heard that one? Of course you have. And it’s true. Just not the whole truth.

Here’s all of it:

EVERYBODY wants to give to a cause.

Millennials - Church - Thing - Fashion - Boutique

It’s just Millennials who are holding the church accountable to having one (which, I might add, is a good thing). So how have many responded in a knee-jerk fashion? By creating “boutique” giving options that offer channeled, specific giving to direct “causes” that bypass the general operating budget of a church or nonprofit.

So instead of giving to a general operating budget that might result in, say, a desk or a laptop or a 401K for field workers (no “cause” there, right? Just that damnable, wicked, evil “overhead.”), you can give to drilling a specific water well outside of Lusaka, Zambia that will serve 112 AIDS orphans.

Pure - Cause

Pure, unadulterated “cause” giving.

So quick, which one do you want to give to—the “overhead” desk or the water well?

God - People - Water - Well

And all God’s people said, “Water well.”

Here’s the problem. That water well won’t be dug without a desk. Meaning a person on the field, in that area, serving as a liaison between your money and the actual completion of digging that well. Not to mention identifying the AIDS orphans who will be served.

Desk - Water

The desk IS the water well.

How do I know?

Example - Lusaka - Zambia - Church - Hundreds

To carry our example out, I personally traveled to Lusaka, Zambia. Our church had just sponsored hundreds of AIDS orphans through a relief organization, and I wanted to see where our money went.

Yes, it dug water wells. Yes, it gave blankets.

Realization - None - Staff - Infrastructure - Organization

But I walked away with a deep, deep realization that none of it would have been possible without the staff and infrastructure of the organization on the ground making it happen. They were the ones living with and serving those orphans. Funding them was...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Christianity.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
What's more plentiful, hydrogen or stupidity?
Tagged: