The Trouble With Todd

TVGuide.com | 6/17/2019 | Liz Henges
Click For Photo: https://cimg.tvgcdn.net/i/r/2019/06/16/33886d1e-2cd5-425d-a4f6-99ae5413a5d1/thumbnail/1300x731/69e1415f26133a5e3b40b9d7990c9abc/toddheader.jpg

It feels like every conversation with my friends inevitably turns into a discussion about sex. We are all adults after all, and sex is seen as a normal part of everyone's lives. As my friends talk about how their partners please them in bed and their sexcapades, I chuckle along with the others at the funny moments, but mostly remain silent and slightly uncomfortable. These conversations are a stark reminder that I'm different from many of the other people I meet. What's considered a given for everyone (sexual attraction) is lost on me. Everyone assumes everyone else wants to have sex, but that's not me, and the hypersexuality of today's society can make it hard to admit that I am asexual.

Media, in general, also helps to perpetuate this idea that almost everything is motivated by sex. Sometimes characters are written in just to be sexy, or to be all about their sexuality, without any thought as to giving them a personality. A lot of people don't even realize asexuality exists, confusing the A in LGBTQIA+ for ally (lmao). So when I saw a character being explicitly represented as ace — a shortened term for asexual — in mainstream media, my interest was piqued.

Animation - Netflix - Series - Bojack - Horseman

The popular animation Netflix series Bojack Horseman focuses on a lot of subjects that other shows tend to shy away from. The titular horse himself (Will Arnett) is an old washed up actor, trying to relive his past glories while hurting everyone that he cares about along the way. Most of the main characters are multi-faceted, yet tragic, dealing with heart-breaking issues that oftentimes destroy them internally. Dealing with unhealthy relationships and coping mechanisms have always been central to the show, so when it's revealed that one of the characters was asexual, it felt like a huge win...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVGuide.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: