Thoughts about the change to CCC 2267 on the death penalty

wdtprs.com | 6/15/2019 | View all posts by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf →
Nighty (Posted by) Level 3

When the change was made to the Latin text of CCC 2267 – concerning the death penalty (claiming that it is now always “inadmissible”) – I both said in sermons and wrote here that the change was troubling and for more than one reason.

First, when changes are made to doctrinal statements, they should make the teaching of the Church clearer, not less clear. The change to CCC 2267 created confusion.

Trial-balloon - CCC - Inclinations

Second, it struck me that perhaps this was a trial-balloon, floated before attempting to change CCC 2358 on objectively disordered homosexual inclinations.

Also, I explained that something doesn’t become true by the fact of it being put into the CCC. It is put into the CCC because it can be demonstrated to be true. Look at pages in your CCC and you will find lots of footnotes with pertinent references to Scripture and the Fathers and Councils, etc. Look at the single not in CCC 2267 and you find one note, referring to a statement that Francis’ himself made in a speech a short while before. That’s it. It’s a bit self-referential. Of course it would be challenging to find references in Scripture or the Fathers or Councils etc. to uphold the position asserted in 2267, for, using all those, the Church has always upheld that capital punishment is admissible in some cases.

Hence - Point

Hence, I refer you back to my first point.

Look. You can be, personally, sincerely against any application of the death penalty in any circumstance, but you should still be really concerned about this...
(Excerpt) Read more at: wdtprs.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
When will they ever learn?