I Will Always Love You: Amy Dotson’s BAMcinemafest Speech

Filmmaker Magazine | 6/15/2019 | Amy Dotson
Click For Photo: https://filmmakermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Amy-Dotson-628x348.jpg

by Amy Dotson

Amy Dotson, who recently departed her position as Deputy Director and Head of Programming at IFP, Filmmaker‘s publisher, is headed this fall to Portland, where she will step into the role of Director of the Northwest Film Center and Film and New Media Curator at the Portland Art Museum. Today she gave a speech at the day of industry talks at BAMcinemafest and kindly offered the text to Filmmaker to publish below.

Lotta - Change - Air - Ya

Lotta change in the air, ya’ll.

So much has happened of late.

Precipice - Adventures

As some of you may know, I’m on the precipice of new adventures.

That said, I’m particularly excited to be talking with you today but….

Lot - Dolly - Parton - Spring - Stage

If I’m being honest, it’s taken reading a lot of Dolly Parton quotes this spring to get me to this stage today.

“If you don’t like the road you’re walkin’, start paving another one.”

Whole - Lot

“You’ll never do a whole lot unless you are brave enough to try.”

“I’m not going to limit myself just because people won’t accept the fact I can do something else.”

Myself

“I just don’t feel like I have to explain myself.”

“Never leave a rhinestone unturned!”

Bull - Nobody

“Take no bull from nobody!”

“Don’t get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.”

Light - Wise - Friend - Crazy - Business

In light of that last one, I recently ran into a wise friend who has been in this crazy business for 40 years — yes, since back when Earth was cooling and dinosaurs roamed the land.

He is happily married, grandchildren on his knee, having just retired after having touched the lives of hundreds of international filmmakers, producers, artists and executives with his kindness, curiosity, and can do spirit.

Force - Nature - Ones

He is a force of nature, one of the good ones.

When I saw him, I was at the aforementioned crossroads above in a big way, more than a little lost, and trying to figure out...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Filmmaker Magazine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." - Alexander Hamilton
Tagged: