Hope Solo says there's a 'time and a place' for goal celebration after US defeats Thailand 13-0

Mail Online | 6/14/2019 | Valerie Edwards For Dailymail.com;Associated Press
TimHyuga (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/06/13/16/14747784-0-image-a-28_1560438132445.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/06/12/6336649850825296512/1024x576_MP4_6336649850825296512.mp4

Hope Solo, who once called Sweden's soccer team 'cowards' has weighed in on the controversy surrounding the US team's celebrations after their 13-0 defeat over Thailand.

The US women's national team has been facing criticism all week following their record-breaking win Tuesday night.

Questions - Americans - Goals - Game - Hand

There have been questions about whether the Americans should have celebrated goals once the game was well in hand. The three-time World Cup champions' sportsmanship has also been questioned.

On Thursday, Solo joined in on that criticism and attempted to answer those questions in an interview with CBS This Morning.

Proponent - Opponents - Solo - Comments - Sportsmanship

'I'm a proponent of respecting my opponents and I always have been,' Solo said, acknowledging that some of her past comments were said out of 'poor sportsmanship'.

'We can celebrate goals… but I still think we can celebrate those goals and the fans can enjoy the game without having the choreographed celebrations.'

Solo - Female - Alive - CBS - Goal

Solo, who has been called the most controversial female athlete alive, told CBS that she thought it 'was unnecessary to have planned out goal celebrations', adding that her favorite goal celebrations are the ones that 'come naturally'.

'Ultimately, I believe that we have to show so much class, especially coming from the number one team in the world,' Solo added.

Solo - France - US - Team - Coach

Solo, who is currently in France, also criticized the US national team coach Jill Ellis.

The three-time World Cup champion knocked Ellis on a podcast where she said the coach is 'not the leader I wish her to be'.

Relies - Assistant - Coaches - Pressure - Bit

'She relies heavily on her assistant coaches. She cracks under the pressure quite a bit,' Solo said on the podcast.

'But often that doesn't matter because the quality of the players on the US team is superb. It doesn't matter who is coaching us because we will find a way to win. The United States knows how to find...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Never argue with an idiot, the spectators may not be able to differentiate between you.