Toy Story 4 review: Hilarious jokes barely save a story lacking stakes

CNET | 6/13/2019 | Mike Sorrentino
max1max1 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/img/LN0PAt_pwA1Q-rFk_Ilrx9RNbgE=/756x567/2019/06/12/1df69cba-632f-4bed-a240-d21006cbeda0/toystory4-online-use-p424-302c-pub-pub16-208.jpg

Toy Story 4 trades in the stakes of previous films for laughs. So many laughs.

Toy Story 3 left you, me and anyone in any movie theater in tears the moment it seemed Woody, Buzz and all the other toys were about to die in a junkyard. Toy Story 4 only left me in tears during a Family Guy-style non-sequitur that was so funny I couldn't help but cry. Different kind of tears.

Toy - Story - Time - Woody - Tom

That's not to say Toy Story 4 is bad. It's a fun time and it's great to see Woody (Tom Hanks), Buzz Lightyear (Tim Allen) and Bo Peep (Annie Potts) back on the big screen. However Toy Story 4 was always going to be in a tough spot plot wise, having to pick up from the emotionally satisfying yet bittersweet departure the toys had when a grown-up Andy passes nearly all of his childhood playthings to Bonnie (Madeleine McGraw).

Toy Story 4 opens June 20 in the US, and June 21 in UK and Australia. The film picks up roughly a year after the previous movie, with Bonnie about to start kindergarten and cherishing nearly all of Andy's toys except for Woody. She's 5 and has her own thoughts about who she wants to play with, which is nearly everyone else but the cowboy Andy loved.

Pretty - Bonnie - Toy - Life - Forky

Pretty quickly, Bonnie decides to invent her own toy, bringing to life Forky (Tony Hale) as a craft project while at her kindergarten orientation, and Woody decides to make it his mission to ensure the flimsy toy can survive being a toy. Forky's existence raises lots of questions about what it takes to make an object sentient in the Toy Story universe, and the movie makes it clear it has no intention of answering them.

Instead, the gang heads on a road trip that reunites...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Goverment, no matter how big, is always a big problem.
Tagged: