The Handmaid's Tale's Alexis Bledel Breaks Down Emily's Tough Family Reunion

TVGuide.com | 6/13/2019 | Lindsay MacDonald
Click For Photo: https://cimg.tvgcdn.net/i/r/2019/06/13/dac66f8c-ce32-411e-bd23-dfc159ce147d/thumbnail/1300x867/00ccd388b67f47be7fb5a7f6fe94f85d/190612-alexis-bledel-the-handmaids-tale.jpg

Emily (Alexis Bledel) may finally have made it out of Gilead and into the safety of Little America in Canada, but if you thought her harrowing journey on The Handmaid's Tale would be over, you'd be wrong. And you'd be missing out on what could be Alexis Bledel's best work on the Hulu series.

After crossing into Canada and claiming asylum for herself and baby Nicole, Emily had an incredibly difficult time assimilating back into normal life. At first she was incredibly hesitant to contact her wife and try to reclaim any real part of her life from "before." Bledel explained Emily's reluctance to indulge in what viewers might expect to be her first impulse for a couple of reasons, one of them being that in the real world, refugees often follow this same path once they find themselves free from stifling regimes.

New - Favorite - Show - Watch

Discover Your New Favorite Show: Watch This Now!

"I got to speak to Andi [Gitow, the deputy director at the United Nations]. I was able to ask a lot of questions about where Emily would be mentally, emotionally, and she helped me better understand the experience of refugees who are reunited with their families and what they go through," Bledel told TV Guide. "I think to a great extent they feel incredibly isolated because the experience that they have had is so different from what their loved ones have been experiencing at the same time. So, it's a huge disconnect, and to bridge that gap takes time and a lot of work on everyone's part to pour a great deal of effort into those connections... She's basically experiencing a great deal of PTSD, being kind of thrust back into society and trying to assimilate back into family life, and feel like some new version of herself again. And that's a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVGuide.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Settled law: one party can't change a contract. Now if the Government, citizens and the Consstitution...