Tracee Ellis Ross set to star in and executive produce MTV's Daria spin off Jodie

Mail Online | 6/13/2019 | Kate Durocher For Dailymail.com
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/06/13/22/14762012-0-image-a-82_1560460384758.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/02/06/8903990457002836294/1024x576_MP4_8903990457002836294.mp4

Tracee Ellis Ross has come aboard to star in and executive produce Jodie, a spin-off of the MTV animated series Daria.

Ellis Ross, 46, told Vanity Fair in an interview that the show, 'was the perfect mash-up of all of the things that I want represented in the world.'

MTV - Show - Tracee - Publication - Down

Remembering how she felt when she was first informed MTV wanted to use her for the show, Tracee told the publication, 'I was in before we even sat down.'

She explained MTV's decision saying, 'They felt that I would be the right voice to bring Jodie to life, and I was like, whaaaaat?'

Star - Cartoon - Series - MTV - Announcement

Now, she is set to both star in and produce the cartoon series, with MTV's announcement also revealing that 'other former students of Lawndale High will also appear,' though no other characters were confirmed.

According to Ross, Jodie, who first appears as the best friend of Daria Morgendorffer in the previous sitcom, which was released in 1997 and ran until 2002, is exactly the type of character she wants to see on the screen.

Show - Jodie - Landon - Girl - Norms

In the original show, Jodie Landon is an African-American girl who's both highly intelligent and extremely popular - defying social norms.

The series even ended with Jodie deciding to go to a historically black college instead of an Ivy League, telling her family she 'wanted to stop being the black kid and just be a kid.'

'Jodie - Woke - Thing - Ross

'Jodie was woke before woke was a thing,' Ross remarked.

The character was also noteworthy for how she became such a central piece of the story.

'To

'To have...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!