Boris Johnson tops first ballot in Tory leadership contest

BBC News | 6/13/2019 | Staff
kims (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/1024x576/p07d15v0.jpg

Media captionCheryl Gillan announces the result with seven of the 10 candidates making it to round two.

Boris Johnson has secured the highest number of votes in the first ballot to select the Conservative party leader and next prime minister.

Contenders - Mark - Harper - Andrea - Leadsom

Three contenders - Mark Harper, Andrea Leadsom and Esther McVey - have been knocked out, in the secret ballot held in the House of Commons.

Mr Johnson received 114 votes, Jeremy Hunt was second with 43, and Michael Gove third with 37 votes.

Seven - Candidates - Progress - Round - Week

Seven candidates progress to the next round of voting next week.

The two most popular MPs will be put to Tory party members in a final vote later this month.

Winner - Contest - Theresa - May - Week

The winner of the contest to succeed Theresa May is expected to be announced in the week of 22 July.

All 313 Conservative MPs voted in the first ballot.

Tory - Leadership - Minister

Tory leadership: Who will be the next prime minister?

Mr Johnson said he was "delighted to win the first ballot, but we have a long way to go".

Foreign - Secretary - Mr - Hunt - Moment

Foreign Secretary Mr Hunt said he was "delighted" to have come second, saying: "This serious moment calls for a serious leader."

And Environment Secretary Mr Gove said it was "all to play for" and he was "very much looking forward" to the TV debates on Channel 4 on Sunday and on BBC One on Tuesday next week.

Home - Secretary - Sajid - Javid - Share

Home Secretary Sajid Javid said: "I look forward to continuing to share my positive vision and my plan for uniting the country."

Health Secretary Matt Hancock thanked his supporters, saying it was "terrific to have more votes from colleagues than I could have hoped for".

Brexit - Secretary - Dominic - Raab - Base

Former Brexit secretary Dominic Raab, said he was "proud and honoured" and he had a "good base to build on".

Media captionRory Stewart: "I don't look anything like the previous PM", and he negotiates "in a completely different way".

International - Development - Secretary - Rory - Stewart

International Development Secretary Rory Stewart...
(Excerpt) Read more at: BBC News
Wake Up To Breaking News!