No Houthi Military In Three Key Yemen Ports For Past Month: U.N.

www.oann.com | 5/14/2019 | Staff
joseph76 (Posted by) Level 3
UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) – A U.N. mission monitoring a peace deal between warring parties in Yemen’s Hodeidah region said on Wednesday it had not detected any Houthi military forces in three key ports since the group withdrew a month ago.

The Iran-aligned Houthi movement’s unilateral pullout from the ports, used for grain, oil, commerce and aid, was the most significant advance yet for efforts to end the four-year-old war and relieve a hunger crisis.

Tensions - Wednesday - Houthi - Missile - Attack

Tensions flared again on Wednesday, however, after a Houthi missile attack on a civilian airport in southern Saudi Arabia wounded 26 people and a Saudi-led military coalition vowed to respond firmly.

The coalition intervened in Yemen in 2015 to try to restore the internationally recognized government that was ousted from power in the capital, Sanaa, by the Houthis in late 2014.

Conflict - Region - War - Saudi - Arabia

The conflict is widely seen in the region as a proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran. The Houthis deny being puppets of Iran and say their revolution is against corruption.

In December, Yemen’s government and the Houthis met in Sweden and agreed to a ceasefire and troop withdrawal deal for Hodeidah. Under phase one, the Houthis pulled out of the Red Sea ports of Hodeidah, Saleef and Ras Isa last month.

Lieutenant - General - Michael - Lollesgaard - UN

Lieutenant General Michael Lollesgaard, who heads the U.N. monitoring mission in Hodeidah, said in a statement that regular...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.oann.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!