Mother, 31, reveals how her newborn was 'diagnosed' with a tumour via a stranger on Facebook

Mail Online | 6/12/2019 | Alexandra Thompson Senior Health Reporter For Mailonline
stefania (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/06/12/10/14686502-0-image-a-76_1560333593206.jpg

A mother has revealed how her newborn was 'diagnosed' with a tumour that could have caused her to go blind via a stranger on Facebook.

Amanda Dobbins first noticed her daughter Sophia had a tiny blemish on the tip of her nose when she was just a few days old.

Medics - Birthmark - Spot

Reassured by medics it was just a birthmark, the 31-year-old became concerned when the red spot started to grow.

Within days, the blemish left Sophia looking like 'she'd had a bucket of blood tipped over her head' and was even covering her eye.

Desperate - Mrs - Dobbins - Cardiff - Picture

Desperate, Mrs Dobbins, of Cardiff, posted a picture of her daughter on a parent support group, where a stranger urged her to have Sophia tested for haemangioma.

Medics later diagnosed the newborn with the tumour, which causes a collection of small blood vessels to develop beneath the skin and can lead to blindness if an eye is affected.

Year - Treatment - Sophia - Blemish

After a year of treatment, Sophia's blemish is almost gone, with her being a happy, healthy 14-month-old.

Speaking of her daughter's condition, Mrs Dobbins, a pharmacy technician, said: 'It would have done some major damage.

'Because - Treatment - Sight - Eye

'Because of how quickly it developed and how quickly it grew if we hadn't have gotten her on a treatment, when we did, she would possibly have damaged the sight in her right eye completely.

'I think we were very lucky. I dread to think what it could have cause if we had just listen to what the doctors had said.'

Mrs - Dobbins - Husband - Neil - Mark

Mrs Dobbins and her husband Neil first noticed a tiny mark on Sophia's nose when she was three-to-four days old.

'First the doctors said it was a stork bite because it was really light pink before we left the hospital it got a bit darker so they said it's a port wine stain and that's where they left it,' she...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Trump - Just saying what the rest won't