Upstate mom arrested after confronting 'bullies' at school

WSPA | 6/12/2019 | Nexstar Broadcasting
amyc9948 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.wspa.com/nxs-wspatv-media-us-east-1/photo/2019/06/11/Mom_arrested_after_confronting_her_son_s_0_91798807_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

A Simpsonville mom was arrested after she said she confronted the children who were bullying her son.

"I'm not right in my actions, but I'm right in standing up for my son," Jamie Rathburn said.

Greenville - County - Schools - District - One

Greenville County Schools said the district was not the one who called police. District officials believe it was a concerned parent who saw a heated Facebook post.

Administrators said she was setting the wrong example if she had wanted to stop bullying.

Rathburn - Log - Bullying - Episodes

Rathburn showed 7News a log she had kept of the bullying episodes.

"He got hit, kicked, hit with a computer, he was shoved, he was jerked off a slide from behind," Rathburn said.

May - Rathburn - Greenbrier - Elementary - School

On May 17, Rathburn walked into Greenbrier Elementary School without permission and confronted students.

"I feel like it was handled poorly. I feel like my son was neglected in the fact that he would ask for help and not receive it. He was not being heard, which is why I got involved," she said.

Greenville - County - Sheriff - Office - Finger

The Greenville County Sheriff's Office said she "began yelling at them while pointing her finger in a threatening manner." They said she used "profanity" towards a teacher.

"I probably was seeming like a bully at that point. I'm not proud of it," said Rathburn.

Simpsonville - Mom - District

Still, the Simpsonville mom is calling on the district to be more proactive.

Greenville County Schools said Greenbrier Elementary had...
(Excerpt) Read more at: WSPA
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: