YouTube CEO apologizes to LGBT community for 'hurtful' decision

CNET | 6/10/2019 | Richard Nieva
Claw987Claw987 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/FdBqblqbiIYUEOcEnW605rPVXVk=/756x567/2019/06/10/fd9c1c27-1c66-4eeb-8eb6-9c34a1f37d0b/rec-asa-code19-20190610-152420-9668-l.jpg

YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki

YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki on Monday apologized for hurting the LGBT community over a controversial decision not to take down a prominent user's channel for hurling homophobic slurs at a journalist who is gay.

Week - YouTube - Google - Action - Comedian

Last week, YouTube, which is owned by Google, drew blowback by not taking stricter action against a conservative comedian named Steven Crowder, who targeted Carlos Maza, a writer and video host for Vox. Masa created a supercut of Crowder calling him a "lispy sprite" and "little queer."

YouTube said Crowder's videos didn't violate the site's rules. The company later said it would demonetize Crowder's channel.

Wojcicki - Code - Conference - Scottsdale - AZ

"I am truly, truly sorry," Wojcicki said at the Code Conference in Scottsdale, AZ. "I know it was hurtful to the LGBT community. That was not the intention."

But even though Wojcicki apologized, she said she stood behind the decision, adding that the company had to be "consistent" to its policies. "If we took down that content, there would be so many other content we'd...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I'm not always cranky, sometimes I'm actually running!