Jada Pinkett Smith Says Will Smith 'Felt Abandoned’ When She Tried to Become More Independent

PEOPLE.com | 6/10/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/will-jada.jpeg?crop=0px,246px,2000px,1051px&resize=1200,630

Jada Pinkett Smith is opening up about the strains in her marriage to Will Smith.

On Monday’s episode of Facebook Watch’s Red Table Talk, the actress, 47, spoke to world-renowned therapist Esther Perel about trying to gain control of her life within and outside of her marriage to the 50-year-old actor.

Regards - Marriage - Life - Partnership - Necessity

“Specifically for me, in regards to redefining my marriage as a life partnership was the necessity of autonomy for myself and for Will,” Pinkett Smith said. “And finding the core of us that wanted to be together outside of the constraints of the traditional ideas of marriage because they weren’t working for us.”

She continued, “We went on that journey to find that autonomy and to find the true authentic bond outside of obligation. I don’t want you to be obligated.”

Pinkett - Smith - Husband - Marriage - Norms

Instead, Pinkett Smith said she forced herself and her husband to look at what they each wanted from their marriage outside of societal norms, as well as what they each wanted for themselves.

“You have to be the perfect wife, you have to be the source that supports his dreams, no matter what it is, whatever he wants to build you’re there to support that,” Pinkett Smith said of the pressure she felt when it came to a conventional idea of marriage.

Life - Dream - Energy - Source - Part

She added, “Our whole life looked like his dream. I’m his energy source. That’s great, but I’ve got to create part of this life that is designed and looks like me.”

When Perel asked her how the Men in Black actor received the news, Pinkett Smith admitted it was a tough pill for him to swallow.

RELATED - VIDEO - Will - Smith - Entire

RELATED VIDEO: Will Smith’s Entire Family Joins Him at the ‘Aladdin’ Premiere — and Jada Dressed as the Genie!

“He felt abandoned at first, he felt really abandoned,” she said. “You never want to hurt the person that you...
(Excerpt) Read more at: PEOPLE.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: