‘Hadestown,’ Bryan Cranston & Elaine May lead 2019 Tony Awards Winners

The Playlist | 6/10/2019 | Gregory Ellwood
Click For Photo: https://theplaylist.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/BryanCranstonNetwork.jpg

The 2019 Tony Awards were handed out on Sunday evening and one of the most competitive Best Musical races in years found the late arriving, but critically acclaimed “Hadestown” taking the top prize. The radical reinterpretation of the Greek myth of Orpheus and Eurydice took eight Tonys overall including Best Direction of a Musical (Rachel Chavkin) and Best Original Score.

“The Ferryman” took Best Play, “Oklahoma!” lassoed up Best Revival of a Musical while “The Boys in The Band” won Best Revival of Play giving Ryan Murphy his first Tony Award. Oscar winner Sam Mendes won his first Tony for directing with “The Ferryman” while 80-year-old Bob Mackie was a surprise first-timer in Costume Design for a Musical for “The Cher Show.” Bryan Cranston also won his second Tony for his highly lauded performance in the smash hit “Network” (beating stiff competition in Adam Driver and Jeff Daniels) while Stephanie J. Block was a surprise winner in the Lead Actress in a Musical category for “The Cher Show.”

Wins - Night - Elaine - May - Lead

One of the other big wins of the night was legendary Elaine May winning Lead Actress in a Play for “The Waverly Gallery” over Annette Bening, Laurie Metcalf and Janet McTeer. The 87-year-old actress and screenwriter had not appeared on stage in 60 years.

“Tootsie” lost out for Best Musical, but the adaptation of the 1982 movie took home Best Book and Santino Fontana won Lead Actor in a Musical. Despite positive reviews and eight nominations, “Beetlejuice” went home completely empty-handed.

List - Year - Nominees - Winners

A list of all of this year’s nominees and winners are as follows.

“Ain’t Too Proud: The Life and Times of the Temptations”

Beetlejuice

“Beetlejuice”

“The Prom”

Tootsie

“Tootsie”

“Choir Boy”

Gary - Sequel - Andronicus

“Gary: A Sequel to Titus Andronicus”

“Ink”

Constitution - Me

“What the Constitution Means to Me”