Einstein's Quest to 'Know God's Thoughts' Could Take Millennia

Space.com | 6/9/2019 | Don Lincoln
Click For Photo: https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/3tBbJqVhmcEA9WtFZzAAWP-1200-80.jpg

In 1925, Einstein went on a walk with a young student named Esther Salaman. As they wandered, he shared his core guiding intellectual principle: "I want to know how God created this world. I'm not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts; the rest are just details."

We know of two theories that, when taken together, give a good description of the world around us, but both are light-years from being a TOE.

Einstein - Theory - Relativity - Gravity - Behavior

The first is Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes gravity and the behavior of stars, galaxies and the universe on the largest scales. Einstein described gravity as the literal bending of space and time. This idea has been validated many times, most notably with the discovery of gravitational waves in 2016.

The second theory is called the Standard Model, which describes the subatomic world. It is in this domain that scientists have made the most obvious progress toward a theory of everything.

World - World - Stars - Galaxies - Poodles

If we look at the world around us — the world of stars and galaxies, poodles and pizza, we can ask why things have the properties they do. We know everything is made up of atoms, and those atoms are made up of protons, neutrons and electrons.

And, in the 1960s, researchers discovered that the protons and neutrons were made of even smaller particles called quarks and the electron was a member of the class of particles called leptons.

Building - Blocks - Step - Theory - Everything

Finding the smallest building blocks is only the first step in devising a theory of everything. The next step is understanding the forces that govern how the building blocks interact. Scientists know of four fundamental forces, three of which — electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces — are understood at the subatomic level. Electromagnetism holds atoms...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Space.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Hell sometimes looks an awful lot like an office cubicle.