Apple doesn't have an AR headset yet, but its AR toolkit is paving the way

CNET | 6/8/2019 | Scott Stein
donuzumaki (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/9v5yrhJ9WZv9l951kX2VQEJz6SA=/756x567/2019/06/04/788559a4-0af9-4ad7-a4cb-a0f386b70b0b/20190604-wwdc-story-swift-strike-01.jpg

I chased a giant ball that wasn't really there with a friend. I watched someone puppet a hovering sun with their face, and speak through its mouth. I sat through sessions where Apple employees discussed the importance of Reality Files, which could store shareable 3D experiences that would unfold on command.

Apple didn't discuss augmented reality for all that much time on stage at WWDC 2019, but it was around in a lot of places. And what Apple has built this time around is stranger and more fascinating than what was summarized in those brief moments. I tried to wrap my head around as much as I could during a few days in San Jose.

Google - AR - Month - Google - I/O

After seeing Google also discuss AR just a month ago at Google I/O, I noticed some key differences. Google largely backed away from AR as a vehicle for wonder and magic, choosing a path hoping for both utility and cross-platform support: virtual animals popping into the world via Google Search, helpful reality-navigating shortcuts in Google Maps, or camera tools that highlight popular dishes on real restaurant menus.

Apple chose to emphasize building AR's graphic chops even further, to a point where, perhaps, reality and AR become indistinguishable. A new set of AR creation tools that looks a lot like the start of a creative suite for everyday people. These might be essential pieces falling in place for an AR/VR headset expected soon as next year, to compete with hardware like Microsoft HoloLens, Magic Leap, and a growing range of lower-cost phone-compatible headsets.

Point - Apple - Realities - Apple - Devices

But it also looks, at this point, like Apple's wild new realities are made for Apple devices and software only.

To Apple, AR is still very much about increasing realism: the company showcased a lot of graphic tricks using ARKit 3, which leans on the power of recent...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
No matter where you go, there you are.