Simon Kinberg Says ‘Captain America: Civil War,’ Not ‘Captain Marvel,’ Actually Shared More Similarities With His Original ‘Dark Phoenix’ Ending

The Playlist | 6/7/2019 | Charles Barfield
kims (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://theplaylist.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/dark-phoenix-xmen.jpg

“Dark Phoenix” arrives in theaters this weekend, ending the 20-year run of Fox ‘X-Men’ films. However, the version of the film that the audience will enjoy now is very different from what was originally intended. And as we have learned previously, writer-director Simon Kinberg had to greatly change his film due to other superhero films feeling very similar. Now, in an interview with io9, he explains what films affected his story.

“My original ending didn’t have the entire X-Family together the way they are in the film now,” revealed Kinberg. “More than ‘Captain Marvel,’ you could see a lot of ‘Civil War’ in that ending.”

Action - Movies - Moment - Act - Way

He continued, “Usually, these big, huge action movies have the climactic moment in the third act. I loved the way that ‘Civil War’ had its big action set piece where everyone’s facing off more towards the end of the second act rather than in the third, so that after that huge battle, you’re left with Winter Soldier, Captain America, and Iron Man.”

While I’m not going to go on record as saying that Kinberg isn’t being 100% truthful, this explanation doesn’t really explain why the third act of the film was reshot last year. “Captain America: Civil War” was released in 2016 and “Dark Phoenix” didn’t begin production until midway through 2017. Surely, someone involved in the production saw ‘Civil War’ in the year between its release and the beginning of “Dark Phoenix.”

Kinberg - MCU - Film - Similarities - Film

Kinberg would go on to explain that there was another MCU film that shared similarities with his film — “Captain Marvel.” He said that the “intimacy” of the final act of ‘Civil War’ was what he was originally going for in “Dark Phoenix,” but there were shades of Carol Danvers.

He explained, “That’s what I was going for with ‘Dark Phoenix’s’ ending even though it then might...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Playlist
Wake Up To Breaking News!