10 Revelations From the Greek Reunion at ATX

TVGuide.com | 6/7/2019 | Kaitlin Thomas
Click For Photo: https://cimg.tvgcdn.net/i/r/2019/06/06/31e0cedc-0313-49e2-9cf6-a7ba01202657/thumbnail/1300x867/7487ab6468f9b10f33026c68dc805e10/190606-greek.jpg

Unlike high school, the college experience has always been rather difficult for television shows and movies to capture without everything turning into an alcohol-soaked cliché. But the ABC Family (now Freeform) dramedy Greek, which ran from 2007 until 2011 and followed the ups and downs of various fraternity and sorority members at the fictional Cyprus-Rhodes University, was one of the few shows to get it right.

Starring Spencer Grammer and Jacob Zachar as siblings Casey and Rusty Cartwright, the series tested the bonds of the Cartwrights' growing relationship as well as the bonds that are created by their participation in the show's Greek system. Eight years after the conclusion of the show, which helped turn the network's scripted programming slate into what it is today, series creator Patrick Sean Smith, executive producers Shawn Piller and Lloyd Segan, and cast members Grammer, Zachar, Amber Stevens West, Zack Lively, and Tiffany Dupont reunited at the ATX Television Festival on Friday to reminisce about the show, tell their audition stories, and share whether there's any hope for a revival.

Things - Panel

Here are 10 things we learned during the panel.

1. Patrick Sean Smith was inspired to write the show by his own time at UT Austin. While working in the admissions office, Smith met a lot of people in the Greek system who he thought were cool, so when he moved to Los Angeles to work in television, he chose to write a sample script that was set in the Greek system. "I wanted to do something that was not just taking the Greek system down but playing with it, having fun with it, being able to look at the politics and relationships," he said, explaining that he also initially thought the show was going to be targeted more to an HBO audience. "I thought I was...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVGuide.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!