X-Men: Dark Phoenix director Simon Kinberg on movie's MCU Easter egg

CNET | 6/7/2019 | Sean Keane
srqlolo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/FxogwBruoSyMbSdVB26psnI4FPA=/2019/06/06/cd7d4715-f046-49e1-83c0-d198c37fb167/bv-0150-v0028-snl.jpg

It's not often you get another crack at adapting a classic Marvel comic book story for the silver screen, but X-Men: Dark Phoenix director Simon Kinberg is doing just that.

The 12th movie in 20th Century Fox's X-Men series, in theaters globally now, shines the spotlight on psychic mutant hero Jean Grey as her powers are cosmically supercharged to the point she endangers the planet.

Plot - Lines - Stand - Kinberg - Co-wrote

If this sounds familiar, it's because it was one of the plot lines in 2006's X-Men: The Last Stand, which Kinberg co-wrote with Zak Penn. That didn't quite do the Dark Phoenix Saga arc justice, lifelong comic reader Kinberg acknowledged when I met him in a London hotel ahead of the new movie's release. His own fandom shone through in the way his eyes lit up as we talked. He seemed more than happy to geek out over his pop culture influences.

Since The Last Stand, Kinberg's worked as a writer and producer on First Class, Days of Future Past, Apocalypse, Deadpool, its sequel and Logan, but Dark Phoenix was his first time in the director's chair. Despite this, I got the sense he was quietly confident he'd gotten the Dark Phoenix saga right.

Movie - Nod - Marvel - Cinematic - Universe

We even talked about the movie's subtle nod to the Marvel Cinematic Universe (directly under the spoiler warning below), which the X-Men movies aren't a part of due to rights issues (these were resolved when Disney acquired Fox). Here's a transcript of our chat, lightly edited for clarity.

Jean Grey dances with the darkness in this X-Men adventure.

Q - Congratulations - Debut

Q: Congratulations on your directorial debut. How do you feel?

Kinberg: I feel very honored to have been given a chance to direct an X-Men movie, given the fact that I grew up reading these comics. When I was reading the comics as a kid, I didn't even know...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!