Walk of Fame Honoree Alan Arkin Talks Journey From Second City to ‘Kominsky Method’

Variety | 6/7/2019 | Jenelle Riley
marisha (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/alan-arkin-walk-of-fame-honor.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Alan Arkin turned 85 earlier this year, yet he has always seemed timeless. With a career spanning more than 60 years, it’s difficult to fathom when there was ever a time when Arkin wasn’t part of the culture. He was an early member of the Second City theater troupe before making his Oscar-nominated film debut in the timely “The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!” in 1966. He gave iconic performances in seminal movies; he terrified Audrey Hepburn (and audiences) in “Wait Until Dark”; starred in Mike Nichols’ take on Joseph Heller’s “Catch-22”; starred and produced the comedy classic “The In-Laws”; and lent his voice to the 1982 cult classic “The Last Unicorn.” And that was all before his Oscar-winning turn in “Little Miss Sunshine,” which kicked off a renaissance of sorts for the actor, who earned another nomination for best picture winner “Argo” and now stars on the heralded Netflix series “The Kominsky Method” opposite fellow legend Michael Douglas.

And he’s worked with the best of the best of directors, from Sidney Lumet to Tim Burton to Mike Nichols. Says Ben Affleck, who directed Arkin in “Argo”: “There really was no one else I could think of to play the part [of film producer Lester Siegel]. The question wasn’t who should play Lester but rather will we or won’t we get Alan Arkin. We got lucky. He agreed to do the movie and when he did I immediately had the feeling the project must be charmed.”

Influence - Today - Minds - Honor - Alan

Likewise, his influence on today’s comic minds cannot be underestimated. “It was an honor to have Alan Arkin in ‘So I Married an Axe Murderer.’ He is a hero,” Mike Myers tells Variety.

So it’s not surprising to hear he’s being honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on June 7. Tell...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
One of the countries we liberated was Russia, too bad it seems to have cost us our liberty.