Andrei Cohn on the Need to Confront Romania’s Communist Past in ‘Arrest’

Variety | 6/7/2019 | Christopher Vourlias
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/arrest.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

CLUJ, Romania –An architect vacationing on a nudist beach with his family in the summer of 1983 is picked up for questioning by two officers from Romania’s dreaded secret police. They promise to return him the following day, but when he’s locked in a jail cell with a menacing small-time crook turned police collaborator, he finds himself exposed to the brutal realities – and sinister betrayals – of life in Communist-era Romania.

“Arrest” is the second feature of Andrei Cohn, based off a script he co-wrote with Alexandru Negoescu. It stars Alexandru Papadopol and Iulian Postelnicu as two cellmates caught up in an elaborate cat-and-mouse game, as the interrogator hunts for the names of co-conspirators in a cooked-up plot against the state. The film was produced by Mandragora and Iadasarecasa, with the support of the Romanian Film Center. It has its world premiere June 7 at the Transilvania Intl. Film Festival.

Cohn - Arrest - Ballet - Lives - Time

Cohn says “Arrest” depicts “this ballet we were doing in our lives at that time,” when ordinary Romanians struggled to preserve the fiction of a normal life. The director spoke to Variety about the guilt he feels about growing up as a rebellious youth in a police state, and the difficulty Romanians still have when trying to confront the past.

“Arrest” is set nearly four decades in the past, during a period that many Romanians would probably like to forget. What inspired you to make a film about that era?

Feeling - Guilt - Time - Anything - Imagine

It’s made out of the feeling of guilt I have regarding that time, about not doing anything. Imagine being young, listening to punk music, and obeying everything at the same time—it’s not easy to live with. This is why, in order to get rid of part of that feeling of guilt, I made this. I decided to make a film regarding a normal...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
With God all things are possible, but not probable.