Council officials called Grenfell Tower area 'little Africa' says MP 

Mail Online | 6/14/2017 | Daily Mail Reporter
stefania (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/06/06/18/14464658-0-image-a-19_1559841456811.jpg

The Grenfell Tower area was described as 'little Africa' by a senior council official who refused to go down to the site, an MP has claimed.

Labour's Emma Dent Coad said the attitude from Kensington and Chelsea Council following the fire was either 'racism or snobbery, take your pick'.

MP - Stress - Disorder - PTSD - Blaze

The MP added she is also suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after the blaze at the west London tower block on June 14 2017, which left 72 people dead.

The council said it would write to Ms Dent Coad to find out the details of the allegations, adding it would investigate them 'urgently' if the claims can be substantiated.

MPs - Response - Tragedy - Ms - Dent

Speaking as MPs criticised the response to the tragedy, Ms Dent Coad told the Commons: 'A senior council officer was told to go down to the site but refused. He said, 'It's like little Africa down there'.

'Another said 'the area was full of people from the Tropics'. 'A senior officer regularly in front of others referred to my neighbours as 'mussies'.' Ms Dent Coad, who is also a councillor for the London borough, added: 'This attitude is hardly surprising.

Councillor - Years - Debate - Refugee - Children

'A senior councillor about two years ago during a debate on refugee children said during his speech, 'If we let these people in, we will have an Islamic caliphate in Kensington and Chelsea'.'

The MP referred to her own health, adding: 'As someone myself suffering from PTSD, but able to function and I know so many who cannot, I will on their behalf wear the scars of my own mental ill health with pride.'

'We - People - Degrees - Grenfell - Atrocity

Earlier she said: 'We have 11,000 people affected to varying degrees by the Grenfell atrocity in our neighbourhood. Some have been helped (by mental health services) but many have not.

'The type of trauma we have does not go away. There have been several suicides and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Trump - Just saying what the rest won't