British Veterans Parachute Over Normandy 75 Years After Making D-Day Jump

www.oann.com | 6/5/2019 | Staff
darkkazune (Posted by) Level 3
SANNERVILLE, France (Reuters) – Two British war veterans in their mid-nineties parachuted over the fields of Normandy, northern France, on Wednesday, 75 years after they jumped behind German defences on D-Day in an operation that helped turn the tide of World War Two against Adolf Hitler.

Dressed in red jumpsuits, 95-year-old Harry Read and 94-year-old John Hutton performed tandem jumps with the British Parachute Regiment’s freefall display team, the Red Devils.

Evening - Sky - Clouds - Parachuters - Smoke

Against a pinkish evening sky blanketed in dark clouds, the parachuters left swirling crimson smoke trails as one carried a giant Union Jack. Both veterans landed safely and looked up as the sky was filled with dozens of domed, khaki chutes, now as then.

Read was just 20-years old and Hutton, known to his friends as Jock, was still a teenager when they leapt out of their transport aircraft under cover of dark with the British 6th Airborne Division in the early hours of June 6, 1944.

World - World - Men - Civilisation - Living

“It was a different world then. It was a world that requires young men like myself to be prepared to die for a civilisation that was worth living in,” Read said.

“So there was a very heavy necessity for young men like me to put my life on the line. My life wasn’t on the line today,” he added, describing the jump as...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.oann.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: