Does Romans 8:9–11 Require Believer’s Baptism?

The Aquila Report | 6/6/2019 | Staff
marisha (Posted by) Level 3
This passage answers not a thing about baptism. This teaching about the Christian life was all true under under Abraham, when the Lord instituted infant circumcision. Isaac was regenerated and was united to Christ by grace alone, through faith alone. Ishmael was not (at least not clearly). Jacob was united to Christ and Esau was not. The message of circumcision was there would come one who would put an end to sin, one who would be cut off as though unclean (Heb 13:11–13).

A reader writes with a question about biblical interpretation and baptism:

Colossians - Footnote - Reformation - Study - Bible…

I was going through Colossians 2 when I read the footnote from the Reformation Study Bible… which sent me to page 41 for a more in-depth explanation. Infant baptism seems to make sense to me on a general level, but I was wondering what your take is on Romans 8, specifically, verses 9-11…we are getting a lot of verses thrown at us about believer’s baptism. Romans 8:9–11 seems to be the only thing that I can’t make sense of.

There is a great lot of verses in Scripture (approx. 31,000) and our Baptist friends believe everyone of them demands believer’s baptism. Thus, the debate can go one endlessly because they read Scripture from within a certain paradigm, i.e., a set of assumptions and convictions about what must be true.

Romans

Romans 8:9–11 says:

However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him. If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Aquila Report
Wake Up To Breaking News!
One of the countries we liberated was Russia, too bad it seems to have cost us our liberty.