Black Mirror "Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too" Review: Miley Cyrus Leads Us on a Wild Ride

TVGuide.com | 6/5/2019 | Tim Surette
Click For Photo: https://cimg.tvgcdn.net/i/r/2019/05/22/b92b46bb-8a1f-43e8-8d22-6e7793673e7f/thumbnail/1300x867/716d47c208a2925ca2395fe0004d092e/190522-blackmirror-ashley.jpg

Before we start, I'll say what I always say about Black Mirror, which is that each episode is best watched knowing nothing about it. Going in blind is part of the fun of watching the series, which thrives on hammering viewers with the unexpected. This review is meant for those who have already seen the episode. You can also read our review of the Season 5 episode "Smithereens." Check back at 10 a.m. ET for our review of "Striking Vipers."

It's a perfect move for Miley as she continues to push for all of us to have amnesia to the fact that she was Hannah Montana and it also redefines her as a multi-talented celebrity rather than a pop star who goes about swinging on wrecking balls without her shirt on. And you know what? She's pretty damned good in her episode at times and a little all over the place in others, which just so coincidentally embodies what the episode is like, too.

Miley - Character - Ashley - O - Pop

Miley doesn't have to reach too far for her character. She plays Ashley O., a bubblegum pop star entering her artistic phase, which conflicts with her manager's plans for pop-culture world domination: the release of an A.I. robot called Ashley Too that's modeled after her brand as a positive role model for girls — a digital replication of her stage personality is uploaded into each toy — and was built to become the best friend of the fans who idolize her.

One of those fans is Rachel (Angourie Rice), a shy 15-year-old who doesn't have much luck socializing in her new school and is frequently tormented for her taste in music by her cooler sister Jack (Madison Davenport), who likes cool bands like the Pixies and Sonic Youth. Looking for the emotional support she lacks from friends and family,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVGuide.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!