‘Bachelorette’ Botches Basic History: ‘No Taxation Without…Represation?’

The Federalist | 6/4/2019 | Emily Jashinsky
tiffcourt011 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://thefederalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/hannahbrown.jpg

“I don’t know much about Boston except that they threw a bunch of tea in some body of water.” So said Hannah Brown, ABC’s “Bachelorette” in residence, on Monday night’s episode.

“There was a chant, what was it?” she continued, searching her memory for scraps of Revolutionary-era history. “No taxation… No (sic) represation… No representation. No. No… without taxation. No taxation without representation!”

Right - Producer

“Is that right?” a producer asked.

“I don’t know, I feel like it’s close,” Hannah replied, before proceeding to give one of her suitors a tour of Boston guided by purposefully bad facts like “Paul Revere invented the bike.”

Idea - Chunk - Adult - Population - Chunk

I’m generally okay with the idea that some chunk of the adult population doesn’t remember some chunk of the American history they learned in school. It’s not ideal, but it’s also realistic. In that sense, making a joke of Hannah’s limited knowledge, as “The Bachelorette” did, is actually not a bad thing: It’s a form of cultural shaming. The message is that she’s laughably ignorant, not laudably ignorant.

Even so, my colleague John Daniel Davidson wrote last week about waning interest in the Civil War,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Federalist
Wake Up To Breaking News!