Mailman Spends His Days Off Cleaning Veterans’ Headstones

Rare | 6/3/2019 | Silke Jasso
vegdancer18 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://coxrare.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/rare-12.jpg?w=1200&h=627&crop=1

A 60-year-old Jacksonville Beach Post Office mailman spends his days off cleaning…in a cemetery. Unlike us, who decide to binge-watch Netflix and eat an unlimited amount of chips and salsa on a day off, Clarence Hollowell heads out to rundown cemeteries and spends his Sundays cleaning Veterans’ headstones. Yes, this man voluntarily cleans headstones, because he wants to honor fallen soldiers. It sort of makes me question what I do in my free time.

During Memorial Day weekend, Hollowell was at the Old City Cemetery in Springfield, where he cleaned the headstones of Capt. S. L. Tibbitts and 1st Lt. Joseph H. Huau. But he doesn’t just clean them and call it a day. Once he finishes cleaning, he then writes their names on a sheet of paper and tries to learn about their life using Ancestry.com. Hollowell, who comes from a military family and served in the U.S. Army, stated that cleaning the graves helps the community and gives him a side project to keep him busy.

Hollowell - Weeks - Headstones - Graves - Scraper

According to Hollowell, it usually takes him about two to three weeks to clean the headstones. In total, he has cleaned around 600 graves, using a plastic scraper to remove growth, a soft bristled brush, a toothbrush for smaller areas, water,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Rare
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Speaking only as an infidel......