SEN. CRAMER: IT’S TIME TO HONOR 74 VIETNAM VETERANS WE LOST 50 YEARS AGO

The Daily Caller | 6/3/1969 | Staff
Nighty (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn01.dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Screen-Shot-2019-06-03-at-12.10.41-AM-e1559535151502.png

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial is a wall on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. built to memorialize the 58,000 men and women who paid the ultimate sacrifice during the Vietnam War by engraving their names on the wall for all to see. Every day, people from across the world come to pay their respects for those who fought and died for the freedoms we all hold dear.

While hundreds of names have been added since it was built, the memorial still does not include the “Lost 74″ — the number of sailors who perished 50 years ago today in the sinking of the USS Frank E. Evans. The honor and gratitude owed to them is long overdue.

Tours - Coast - Vietnam - USS - Frank

After serving multiple tours off the coast of Vietnam, the USS Frank E. Evans was sent to participate in a nearby training exercise. During practice maneuvers on June 3, 1969, the ship collided with an aircraft carrier and sank, killing 74 sailors who were aboard the ship. Each of these service members were deployed and died in the service of our nation, yet their names have been left off the Vietnam Memorial wall.

While the incident occurred about 100 miles outside of the official combat zone, the ship and a majority of the deceased sailors had previously provided naval gunfire off the coast of Vietnam, including during the Tet Offensive. The ship was also set to return to combat after the exercise, and the other ships in the Evans group returned to Vietnamese waters following the exercise.

Radio - Town - Halls - Year - Family

During one of my radio town halls last year, a family member of Richard Grant, a North Dakota resident and survivor of the USS Frank E. Evans disaster, approached me about the issue. I was deeply moved by the story, and I introduced an...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Daily Caller
Wake Up To Breaking News!
When will they ever learn?