Francis Ford Coppola’s Proposal For The Future Of Cinema: “Live” Movies

The Playlist | 6/1/2019 | Alex David Lynch
Click For Photo: https://theplaylist.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Francis-Ford-Coppola.jpg

In a recent extensive interview with Rolling Stone, the legendary director—who already predicted the idea of the democratization of cinema via the iPhone decades ago— hinted at what that next step could be for cinema, if he had his way. For him, it’s the presentation of “live” movies, something that—judging by how he describes it— sounds a lot like it could be eye candy for hardcore cinephiles.

“I’m not talking about theater or live television; those are their own things,” Coppola told Rolling Stone. “I’m talking about cinema, which is shot-based and instantly recognizable. I thought it’d be worthwhile to see if you could make true cinema, with shots and cuts, within this live form. I want movies like those made by the masters of today, the ones who can do one-offs and aren’t forced to do TV series and franchise movies, to be an event.”

Time - Filmmaker - Cinema - Concept - Idea

This isn’t the first time the legendary filmmaker has discussed a live cinema concept, nor is it a particularly young idea. Coppola teased the idea as far back as 2014. “The cinema can be composed for the audience while they’re seeing it,” he said at the time. “Movies no longer have to be set in stone and can be interpreted for an audience.”

What’s interesting is, Coppola’s already played around with this idea at least once, with a live presentation of his experimental horror film “Twixt” at Comic-Con in 2011 that he later took on tour in limited release that either could either be seen as a failure or concept just too early for its time. (musician Dan Deacon scored...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Playlist
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Conservatives are to the GOP what oil is to water, and the GOPe spend most of their time skimming it off or setting it on fire.