S.H.I.E.L.D. Recap: Freaks and Deke

TVLine | 5/31/2019 | Matt Webb Mitovich
Click For Photo: https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2019/05/agents-of-shield-6x04-deke.jpg?w=620

Four episodes into its sixth season, Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD finally caught up with Deke Shaw. How has Jemma and Fitz’s grandson been spending the past year, on his extended visit from the future?

In a prolonged cold open, we see Deke being quite the pistol-packing badass, skulking around gunmetal grey corridors to best and blast bad guys. The reward for his heroic efforts and witty quips? A door slides open and there’s a come-hither Daisy waiting to rush into his arms, after giving him a solid slap. But before their lips meet, most every viewer’s suspicion is confirmed: Deke is actually inside a bleeding-edge VR gaming system, which he — as the wunderkind of a startup tech firm — has dubbed “the Framework.”

TooSoon - Name - Property - Deke - SHIELD

That #TooSoon of a name is far from the only intellectual property Deke has approripated from S.H.I.E.L.D., as he left the team to venture out into Earth’s non-dystopian past. No, he’s been “brainstorm” gadgets aplenty, including gravity belts and shield-wielding prosthetic hands. He also has a “babe” at his side in the form of Sequoia, a boba-loving “influencer” played (quite amusingly) by series co-showrunner Maurissa Tancharoen.

Deke’s day of taste-testing mushroom pellets and other sorts of “disrupting” is interrupted by an unexpected visit, from whom he assumes to be a still-alive-and-well Phil Coulson. Playing along with the mistaken identity, Sarge — claiming he got a “memory wipe” — tries to pump Deke for intel on S.H.I.E.L.D. Deke fortunately is so jazzed to see his old friend, he instead lobs back Qs of his own, about May et al. But when “Coulson” gives generic answer after answer, a suspicious Deke sets a trap by asking about Agent “Doug,” and Sarge falls for it. Before Deke can slip away and do something with his discovery of the doppelgänger, Sarge pulls out...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVLine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: