‘Yellowstone’: Why Composer Brian Tyler Traded in Superhero Capes for a Fiddle

IndieWire | 5/30/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/shutterstock_10242819ag-e1559229010567.jpg

Composer Brian Tyler made a name in Hollywood writing scores for big action and sci-fi franchise films like “Iron Man 3,” “The Avengers: Age of Ultron,” “Fast & Furious,” and “The Expendables.” In the last two years, Tyler has made a point of picking projects that were against the grain of how he is seen by the industry with the romantic comedy “Crazy Rich Asians” and Taylor Sheridan’s western period drama “Yellowstone.”

“It’s like anything, we all start a career and you do one thing and it leads to another,” said Tyler, who appeared at IndieWire’s Consider This FYC Brunch earlier this month. “I love all genres, I love superhero films, sci-fi and fantasy, but I wanted to do a few things where people said, ‘Wow, Brian did that? That’s interesting.’ And for me, creatively, it makes it fresh when I go back and do a film with someone with a cape.”

Opportunity - Sheridan - Yellowstone - Tyler - Avenue

The opportunity to collaborate with Sheridan on “Yellowstone” not only offered Tyler an avenue to create a different type of score, but he was given time and a budget to work in a different way. It’s a collaboration that started well before cameras start to role.

“Usually on a show you get in a crunch of every five to seven days you are mixing a new episode and you really have to crank it out,” said Tyler. “It’s super challenging and you have to do things with samples and in-the-box to create simulations of orchestras. And with Taylor it was completely different angle – by design we were going to do music ahead of time.”

Time - Tyler - Research - Type - Music

With the extra time, Tyler was able to research and discover the type music that came before the “American Western” sound...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!