OFFICIALS APPROVE $13 MILLION TOWARD SCHOOL SAFETY FOLLOWING COLORADO SHOOTING, BUT DISTRICT IS NOT ON BOARD

The Daily Caller | 5/8/2019 | Staff
ziggy1023 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn01.dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/STEM-Colorado-Reuters-5-e1559166694560.jpg

Officials approved putting $13 million toward school security throughout Douglas County, Colorado, schools Tuesday following a shooting, but the district’s board does not agree with the plan.

Douglas County Commissioners approved of $13,331,250 toward school mental health care and security after previously proposing $10 million at a May 13 meeting. The funding would affect the upcoming school year.

Funding - Security - Technology - School - Entry

A one-time funding of $10 million was requested to go toward security technology at school entry ways and mental health services for children and $331,250 was asked to go toward a “community response team” to address mental health among students and families.

The rest of the $3 million would fund half of the cost of school resource officers, but “with the condition that any school in the county match the other 50% ongoing before Douglas County expends any of the $3 million.”

Response - Deliberate - Responsibility - Safety - Commissioner

“We knew we had to have a response that was swift, deliberate and aligned with our responsibility for funding public safety,” commissioner Lori Thomas said, Colorado Public Radio reported Tuesday.

The Douglas County School Board said it would not be possible to follow the provision regarding school resource officers, according to the board’s response given to The Daily Caller News Foundation by Douglas County...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Daily Caller
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It just doesn't get bettere than this...
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!