The 10 Worst Movie Remakes Ever — IndieWire Critics Survey

IndieWire | 5/28/2019 | Staff
max1max1 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/beauty-and-the-beast-6.jpg

This week’s question: What is the worst movie remake ever made?

It was a massive hit and got mostly good reviews from other critics, so maybe this is just a personal thing, but I’d have to choose Disney’s live-action “Beauty and the Beast” remake. They took a beautiful, meaningful story and turned it into a big, dumb, overblown, soulless, CGI-heavy bore. Actually, I hate all the Disney live-action remakes. They’re just inferior versions of movies that were virtually perfect. Disney has always been way too willing to cannibalize itself. These films take that unappealing tendency to a new low. The “Beauty and the Beast” remake is the worst of a bad lot.

Agrabah - Production - Designer - Gemma - Jackson

Building Agrabah: How Production Designer Gemma Jackson Created a Whole New World for 'Aladdin'

If the definition of “worst remake” is clear—not the one that’s the worst in absolute terms but the one in which the dropoff in artistic merit from the original is the largest—the answer is obvious: Jim McBride’s remake of “Breathless.” The original is one of the great advances in cinematic technique, form, substance, and performance; the remake is a standard-issue melodrama of an appalling vanity and banalized eroticism, made with a technique and a style that are unoriginal and virtually anonymous. It’s all the more disheartening in the light of McBride’s extraordinary first feature, “David Holzman’s Diary,” which wears its Godard influence even more explicitly and reflects an audacious imagination, an observational ardor, and a first-person intensity that live up to the homage as do few other films of the era.

Death - Wish - Remake - Chicago - Wasteland

The 2018 “Death Wish” is the remake I most loathe, not just because it depicts Chicago as a wasteland of guns and violence. It’s also a tone deaf piece of garbage that actually makes the original look bolder, and even less racist. At least the 1974 version...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Goverment, no matter how big, is always a big problem.