David Harbour Says ‘Hellboy’ Misfire Was ‘Unfairly Bludgeoned’ By Comparisons to ‘Marvel Stuff’

IndieWire | 5/28/2019 | Staff
ajoy26 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Screen-Shot-2018-12-19-at-2.10.13-PM.png

Lionsgate’s “Hellboy” reboot will go down as one of the biggest misfires of 2019 thanks to its abysmal reviews (16% on Rotten Tomatoes from 192 reviews) and lackluster box office (it barely made over $20 million in the U.S. opposite a $50 million production budget). David Harbour was not one to defend the movie during a recent chat with DigitalSpy and other press at London’s MCM Comic-Con, saying the film had “major problems” and admitting that not all of the ideas that went into the reboot worked out. Harbour starred in the title role, replacing Ron Perlman on the big screen after the latter starred in Guillermo del Toro’s “Hellboy” and “Hellboy II: The Golden Army.”

“We did our best, but there’s so many voices that go into these things and they’re not always going to work out,” Harbour said of the movie. “I did what I could do and I feel proud of what I did, but ultimately I’m not in control of a lot of those things.”

Harbour - Hellboy - Remake - Reception - Film

While Harbour admits his “Hellboy” remake was far from perfect, he did allege that reception around the film was made worse because in today’s Hollywood landscape most tentpole films or comic book adaptations get unfairly compared to “Marvel stuff.” The Marvel Cinematic Universe has become so dominant in the comic book movie genre that, at least according to Harbour, no film can get released without being compared to it.

“The problem that I have with...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!