‘MasterChef’ at 10: Mentorship, Crossing the Pond and Breaking Down a Chicken Blindfolded

Variety | 5/28/2019 | Danielle Turchiano
oxboy (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/05/masterchef-at-10-finale.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

As the team behind “MasterChef” prepared to produce its 10th season, one key theme emerged: They had to be bigger and bolder, not only to continue to entice the audience to tune in live, now twice a week instead of only once, but also to celebrate just how far the unscripted cooking competition has come.

“I never want to sit on my laurels,” says executive producer, host and judge Gordon Ramsay. “I treat ‘MasterChef’ like running a restaurant in terms of, you need to be creative every year, and like customers in any restaurant vote with their feet, viewers vote with their controllers.”

Staple - Fox - Summer - Lineup - Endemol

A staple of Fox’s summer lineup since 2010, the Endemol Shine/Studio Ramsay-produced series has averaged 4.79 million live+same day viewers over its first nine seasons, becoming a utility player for the network as it moved around on the schedule season after season but consistently performed as the No. 1 unscripted show. In order to make the series appointment television in a much more crowded space than when it launched, the show now has upped the ante with the level of skill being required of its home cook contestants, as well as during demo time for the judges.

“We’ve seen Gordon explain how to break down a chicken, and it’s something that people love — and it’s something that I learned how to do by watching him — however, this time Gordon did it blindfolded,” says executive producer Natalka Znak, who just joined the series in Season 10. “That’s a twist on a ‘MasterChef’ classic. As a viewer I’m still getting all my takeaways, but I’m also getting a fantastic piece of TV.”

Order - Home - Cooks - Challenges - Members

In order to find home cooks who could rise to such challenges, members of Ramsay’s own culinary team traveled around the country to grade applicants on their cooking long...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!