Looking Glass Pro is a $6,000 holographic PC for conjuring 3D objects

CNET | 5/28/2019 | Scott Stein
Goobee (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/DGgHsfy3ApCNY54mYIWCWjLl7sg=/756x567/2019/05/23/70112287-9873-4292-87ce-289c5345ee22/01-hologram.jpg

The teeth in the thick-walled glass box look like they're embedded, a 3D model in a cube. Walk closer, and you can see that this box is a display, and it's all pixels. The Looking Glass Pro feels like a magic box. But the box is actually a PC, and the whole system is meant to look at objects that can be conjured into space without needing VR goggles or glasses. Imagine a holographic workstation of the future, and maybe this is it.

The first Looking Glass lightfield display launched last year: the glasses-free 3D effect felt stunning, but needed to plugged into a PC. The new Looking Glass Pro is a full self-contained system that can be set up to access 3D files and interact with them, adding new touchscreen controls. It works with a mouse too, or via air gestures using a connected Leap Motion controller, and it has its own computer in the back with ports to boot.

Something - Orthodontists

Who would use something like this, exactly? Orthodontists, would you believe?

Sean Frayne, the co-founder and CEO of the Brooklyn-based Looking Glass Factory, says the self-contained pro system was created to meet requests from businesses that wanted to install a 3D display system like this.

Scan - Looking - Glass - Display

Examining a dental scan on the Looking Glass display.

OrthoScience, an orthodontics app, is one of the first big practical apps for Looking Glass. It's designed to look at 3D dental scans. I spin a scan of teeth around with my fingers, or use a mouse to move a cursor in 3D as it hugs the model and crawls around the jawline. A tap of my fingers can refocus the image on where I'm interested.

Screen - Side - Looking - Glass - Pro

A flip-out second screen on the side of the Looking Glass Pro is intended as a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: