Fr. Z’s 28th Anniversary of Ordination: St. Philip plays a prank.

wdtprs.com | 5/26/2019 | View all posts by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf →
joyy (Posted by) Level 3

“Well… I made it this far.”

That’s what I say to myself when this date rolls around.

Priests - Anniversary - Ordination - Time - Year

Many priests observe the anniversary of their ordination at this time of year. It is a common time for ordinations, probably because Ember Days were common times for ordinations and Ember Days fall during the Pentecost Octave.

It is my anniversary of ordination today, 28 years ago, by St. John Paul II in St. Peter’s Basilica. I suppose that might make me a 2nd class relic.

Feast - St - Philip - Neri - May

It was not only the Feast of St. Philip Neri, 26 May, but it was also Trinity Sunday. A beautiful sunny day. Today, in Rome, we have solid gray and rain.

I got up that morning, ate breakfast, said my prayers, and walked alone across town to the basilica, where I entered through the main doors with the rest of the crowd. After that, however, I went to the right, to the nave near the Pietà, where we ordinands vested and waited for the Holy Father. My family members came separately from a different part of town. They had special tickets which brought them very close to the altar.

Number - Countries - Basilica - People - World

Since we were 60 in number, and from many countries, the basilica was absolutely jammed with people from all over the world who had come for the ordinations. The number of people, probably some 50k since it was packed to the gills with families and friends and whole colleges and the inevitable tourists, made the responses during the Litany of Saints flow over us palpably as we lay on the floor.

You have not experienced the Litany of Saints until you have heard it sung by that many people in a space like that.

St - Theresa - Calcutta - Front - Folks

St. Theresa of Calcutta was there, just in front of where my folks sat.

I had arranged for my grandmother, a convert to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: wdtprs.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!