Woody Allen & Roman Polanski Are Both Getting The Cold Shoulder From US Distributors For Their New Films

The Playlist | 5/24/2019 | Charles Barfield
Click For Photo: https://theplaylist.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Woody-Allen-Roman-Polanski.jpeg

The last year and change have not been kind to filmmakers Woody Allen and Roman Polanski. Both critically-acclaimed and legends in the industry, Allen and Polanski have spent the last year blacklisted from Hollywood, as their sexual misconduct allegations from decades previous have resurfaced in light of the #MeToo movement. Interestingly enough, both are trying to find distribution for their new films. And they’re struggling.

As reported in a new profile by Vanity Fair, both Polanski and Allen have new films (“An Officer and a Spy” and “A Rainy Day in New York,” respectively) that they’re actively seeking worldwide distribution deals with. However, in today’s climate, both men are struggling to find takers, even though five years ago, studios would have fought each other over the right to do put these films in theaters.

Report - Filmmakers - Distribution - Polanski - Allen

The report says that both filmmakers have found European distribution fairly easily, with Polanski and Allen’s latest films getting a fall release overseas. But in the US, there haven’t been any takers. And it doesn’t appear that anyone is willing to take a chance, yet.

But according to one distributor, you can’t really lump the two men in together. “I think we would consider [Polanski’s film],” Howard Cohen, co-president of Roadside Attractions, said. “Though I’m not even sure how I personally feel. People have been releasing his films for years.”

He continued, “Now, we are looking at it through a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Playlist
Wake Up To Breaking News!