Caesar and Sacrament

Jesus Creed | 5/25/2019 | Staff
finter (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/40/2019/05/Screen-Shot-2019-05-22-at-6.16.07-PM-214x300.png

Alan Streett is Senior Research Professor of Biblical Theology at Criswell College. He is the author of several books. His book, Caesar and the Sacrament, frames the following interview.

This interview was conducted by David George Moore. Some of Dave’s teaching and interview videos can be accessed at www.mooreengaging.com.

Moore - Motivation - Subjects

Moore: Would you describe the motivation behind tackling these two subjects?

Streett: Nearly twenty years ago I began to take a fresh look at the “kingdom of God.” I was amazed to discover that the kingdom of God was at the heart of all NT gospel preaching (Mark 1:1, 14; Matt 10:7; Luke 4:40‒43; 8:1; 9:2, 57‒60; 10:1, 9‒11; 12:22‒32; 16:16; John 3:3‒5; Acts 1:3; 2:30‒32; 8:12; 17:7; 19:8; 20:24‒25; 28:23, 30‒31, etc.). Jesus went so far as to say that the “end of the age” will not come until the “gospel of the kingdom” is proclaimed to all nations (Matt 24:14).

Theme - Kingdom - Genesis - Revelation - Book

I traced the theme of the kingdom from Genesis to Revelation in my book Heaven on Earth: Experiencing the Kingdom of God in the Here and Now (Harvest House, 2013). This initial study led me to investigate further how baptism and the Lord’s Supper were connected to the kingdom. For example, John the Immerser linked baptism with the kingdom’s arrival (Matt 3:2). Jesus linked the Last Supper, the basis for our Lord’s Supper, to the coming kingdom (Luke 22:18, 28‒30). I discovered that the first-century church not only viewed these two rituals as pro-kingdom in nature but also as anti-imperial acts. As a result, I felt compelled to write Subversive Meals (Pickwick, 2013) and Caesar and the Sacrament (Cascade, 2018).

I fear the contemporary church, especially in the West, suffers from amnesia. It has forgotten the significance of baptism and the Lord’s Supper as prophetic enactments in the original context of the Roman Empire.

Moore

Moore:...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Jesus Creed
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I find it extremely funny when people keep voting and expecting the government to change!
Tagged: