Star Trek: The Next Generation finale has me pumped for new Picard series

CNET | 5/23/2019 | Amanda Kooser
PaMe (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/4Mb4tL9tCAohyWwy8J1wgz1zfZ4=/756x567/2019/05/21/76389a80-e0e3-48b2-af91-4bd9a0b8ed26/tngpicardold1.jpg

All Good Things jumps around between three time periods.

In May of 1994, I was about to graduate high school. I wore Doc Martens, listened to Bob Dylan, read Jack Kerouac and worshipped Star Trek. I was preparing for the life-shaking transition to college as the crew of the USS Enterprise on Star Trek: The Next Generation was getting ready to warp from the small screen to the movie theater. We were both heading for the next big thing.

May - TNG - Series - Finale - All

On May 23, 1994, when the two-part TNG series finale All Good Things aired, I watched it live. The critics loved it. I loved it. But I haven't seen it since. My '90s fashion choices may not have stood the test of time, but will All Good Things? I'm going to find out. (Disclosure: CBS is the parent company of both Star Trek and CNET.)

This future Picard rocks a beard.

Finale - Light - Star - Trek - Picard

I'm especially interested in revisiting the finale in light of the upcoming Star Trek: Picard, a new series that picks up with Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard, decades after the captain's last on-screen appearance in the 2002 movie Star Trek: Nemesis. (Watch the trailer for Star Trek: Picard here.) Will All Good Things get me excited for Picard's return?

Ninety minutes later: OK, I'm back. Deep breath. Here's how it went.

Picard - Things - Bathrobe - Forth - Time

Picard first pops up in All Good Things wearing a gray bathrobe, babbling about bouncing back and forth through time. Star Trek and time travel go together like Tribbles and quadrotriticale.

The intro credits and music arrive and I feel chills and realize how long it's been since I've watched any Next Gen at all. Too damn long. Every episode is available on Netflix at the touch of a button -- a far cry from when they came on expensive VHS tapes with...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!