Revised Common Lectionary: Purple (but not Lent)

RevGalBlogPals | 5/21/2019 | Staff
tanikaki (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://revgalblogpals.files.wordpress.com/2019/05/img_2616.jpg?w=900

My childhood church had a tradition of the youth performing a musical each year on Mother’s Day. One year, our choir director chose a musical named Paul & Co. by John Horman and Mary Nelson Keithahn. To this day, a song from this musical goes through my head whenever I hear the Lydia story:

With goods that just the wealthy can buy.

Good

What good is gold when you die?

How did Paul’s teaching and her subsequent baptism change Lydia? The text tells us that she was already a believer in God. Is Acts 16:14-15 the equivalent of her call story? What do you think she did with her renewed faith once her brief appearance in Scripture is complete?

Lydia - Figure - Days - Christianity - Head

Lydia has remained an important figure from the early days of Christianity. She is described as the head of her household. She led everyone in her household to the waters of baptism, which has become significant in discussions about baptizing people of all ages. Lydia has continued to inspire leaders in the church, especially women. How can she inspire your faith community?

As ever, this week’s Revised Common Lectionary texts provide many options for preaching and worship planning. There are countless songs based on Psalm 67. Will you be using any of them in worship? (This song by Hezekiah Walker isn’t so much based on Psalm 67 as the embodiment of it!) This psalm would be a good basis for a sermon on how we praise God! Do your people know why they do what they do in worship? Perhaps you could take the chance to explain your liturgy to your community, and describe...
(Excerpt) Read more at: RevGalBlogPals
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: