‘I Lost My Body’ Director Jeremy Clapin On His Critics’ Week Breakout

Variety | 5/21/2019 | Ben Croll
hey13 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/05/sdlc1.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

CANNES — Jeremy Clapin’s feature debut “I Lost My Body” follows Naoufel, a young man who moves to France, falls in love and tries to create a new life. Then in a parallel storyline, it follows Naoufel’s severed hand, which runs, jumps and rolls across Paris in an attempt to find the rest of its body. The fact that these timelines are not quite simultaneous creates a tension that escalates as the film goes on – and pays off in unexpectedly emotional ways.

Launching out of Critics’ Week (where it is the sole French title in competition), the film will next travel to Annecy, and will likely play more festivals after that.

Film - Structure - Strand - Naoufel - Hand

The film has a unique narrative structure: One strand follows Naoufel’s hand as it tries to find the rest of its body, while the other strand follows Naoufel before losing the appendage.

The idea was not to tell the story of a man who loses a hand, but of a hand that loses a body. And so we follow a very classic film template – the story two characters made for one another but separated by destiny. They begin together, get separated by fate and have to find one another anew. Only for us, the film doesn’t start at the very beginning of this template; it starts at the moment of separation. And as the hand makes it way through the city, we travel through its memories of the life it shared with Naoufel. And in the Naoufel scenes, he’s never presented without his hand in the shot – in a way he’s always framed from his hand’s perspective. So when the hand finds him, in a way, so do we.

Film - Stories - Project

As you can imagine for a film with two stories in one, the project was very difficult to describe. We wanted...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Economic projections are useless with out the exact timer they will occur