Romney Was 'Troubled' by Mueller Report, But Opposes Impeachment

CNS News | 5/20/2019 | Staff
blacky (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.cnsnews.com/romney-trump-ethan_miller.jpg

(CNSNews.com) - Rep. Justin Amash (Mich.) is the first Republican to say President Donald Trump's behavior, as described in the Mueller report, meets "the threshold for impeachment."

In a series of tweets over the weekend, Amash said if Trump weren't a sitting president, he would be indicted for obstruction of justice.

House - Trump - Charges - Senate - Office

While the House can impeach Trump, or bring charges against him, it's up to the Senate to remove him from office, and so far, not a single Republican senator -- not even Trump's harshest Republican critics -- have advocated his removal.

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) has said that Trump's "pervasive dishonesty," as reflected in the Mueller report, "sickened" him.

Sunday - Romney - CNN - State - Union

But on Sunday, Romney told CNN's "State of the Union" that he has reached a different conclusion on impeachment than Amash has:

"I believe that to make a case for obstruction of justice, you just don't have the elements that are evidenced in this document. And I also believe that an impeachment call is not only something that relates to the law, but also considers practicality and politics.

People - Impeachment - Jury - Senate - Senate

"And the American people just aren't there. And I think those that are considering impeachment have to look also at the jury, which would be the Senate. The Senate is certainly not there either," Romney said.

Host Jake Tapper pressed Romney on whether he thinks there is "sufficient evidence" that the president obstructed justice:

Element - Obstruction - Justice - Case - Prosecutor

"I just don't think that there is the full element that you need to prove an obstruction of justice case. I don't think a prosecutor would actually look at this and say, OK, we have here all the elements that would get this to a conviction.

"So, everyone...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNS News
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Putting government in charge of morality, is like putting Satan in charge of ...